OMG, worst kit ever! I had SO much trouble with this kit, that just thinking about it depresses me. I’ve never been more happy to see the end of a build. But despite that, I didn’t just pay this off. I did the best that I could, which included making some MAJOR mods.
Here’s some examples of the issues that I faced:
The actual car body was NOT the same as the TV car (mentioned in Part 1);
The roll cage sat low (didn’t reach the roof), and didn’t reach the sides of the interior; and
There were pieces missing, as well as pieces that could be used (like the fuel tank that didn’t fit).
The rear window was the biggest mod, followed closely by fixing the roll cage. Here’s the way I fixed the rear window:
Hard to see in this photo, but the rear window sits “flush” with the side frame. On the TV car (a 1969 Charger), this doesn’t happen, there’s a kind of “wing” on each side of the window.
So I started by cutting the SIDES of the rear window out, thinking I could just push the window in a bit, but that wasn’t enough. In the end, I had to remove the rear window, and then remove the section between the back of the trunk (or boot) and the bottom of the window.
Then I used thin sheet styrene to build the “wings” and extend the rear panel, since the section I removed wasn’t wide enough to fill the gap between the window and the trunk.
I then re-attached the rear window, which helps to better show the “wings” I was talking about earlier.
Then it was all putty’d up, sanded back and painted. I needed to use primer on this work a couple of times to see where the issues were, and as you’ll see in the photos of the finished car, I didn’t really nail it. If the kit itself wasn’t so much trouble, I might have spent some extra time getting it right, but by the time I got to the end of the build, I pretty much stopped caring.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Next came the roll cage. OOB it was all very square, which meant that when it was installed, it didn’t reach the roof, and it didn’t reach the side window frames – looking VERY cheap and nasty. To fix it, I had to:
Make the whole thing 3mm higher (you can see where I’ve used sprue at the bases in the pic);
Make a shallow cut and bend the top sections inwards. This allowed the cage to contour along the inside of the doors but then follow the roof-line at the top;
Remove the rear bar from each section, rotate and re-angle them, and then re-attach them;
Shorten the top cross-bars to accommodate the NARROWER cage; and
Lengthen the lower cross-bar at the rear to accommodate the WIDER bottom section.