What an awesome kit this was. Thanks to being on holidays, and being continually motivated by the quality of this kit, I finished the whole thing in about 2 weeks. But it wasn’t without it’s frustrations. There were three main issues I had with this kit:
1. They give you a complex colour scheme for the undercarriage and then you’re supposed to cover it all up with panels;
2. The wheels steer, but once you add the mud flaps in the final stages, they fit so close to the wheels, that they end up only steering about 2mm; and
3. Some of the 1 million decals didn’t seem to fit properly.
To resolve problem 1, I ignored the panels at the rear, and left the front panel clear…
Looking at this photo, you can see the colours that Tamiya stipulate for all the struts and braces. I don’t know whether the “red = right, blue = left” concept exists on the real car, but there’s a lot of intense work that went into this part of the car. You can see at the front that there is a clear panel covering the underside of the engine, but the instructions ask for it to be painted black, with similar panels covering the underside of the rear end. So you can understand why I chose to omit those pieces.
Problem 2 – the mud flaps…
Between this shot and the one above, if you look closely, you can see how the mud flaps have been attached. As I mentioned, the wheels where able to steer quite well until these flaps were added, reducing the wheel clearance to around 1mm.
And problem 3 – the decals…
Look closely at the rear panel directly behind the wheel in the above photo and you’ll see that the decal looks a bit funky. The decal was actually too big for the area, so I used a HEAP of Micro Sol to try and allow the decal to mould around the curves and edges of the panel. It seemed to work ok, so I let it sit for a day, then gave the whole car a coat of clear. Sadly, the clear damaged the decal and I needed to touch it up.
Despite that, I’m pretty happy with the end result. Usually, the cars I build have MAYBE a dozen decals in total – from dashboard to stripes. But this had around 65! And there’s decals-on-decals and decals on clear pieces, so a lot of it was a first for me. I did enjoy it, but as the decals build up. it got harder and harder to find somewhere safe to hold the darn thing while trying to manoeuvre it.
Problem 3.5 is that the red of the decal does NOT match TS-49 – the Tamiya “Bright Red” used to spray the body. And X-7 (the Tamiya Red bottle) is different again, so touching up the broken parts of the decal resulted in patchy reds. But I think you wouldn’t notice it unless you were looking.
And I tried something else a little new for these photos. A while back, I purchase some Motor Head figurines to pose with my cars. It turns out most of them are almost useless thanks to the way they’re posed, but I thought I give some a try with the Evo. There’s more in the gallery to check out, but tell me what you think!